SDI OPEN WATER DIVER CERTIFICATION
Did you know that Planet Earth’s surface is covered by more than 70% water? Our oceans and water systems, including lakes and rivers, control our climate and temperature, move weather patterns, and support living organisms yet remains mostly unexplored with 95% of it unseen by the human eye. Become a part of an ecosystem that supports so much of our life and take it to your limits; whether that is interacting with colourful schools of fish over a peaceful coral reef or diving alongside a pod of dolphins that have come to take a closer look. Dive with sharks, dive in caves, or dive some of the most historic wrecks. Whatever direction you want to take your new life-style; it all begins here!
Following this course you will be able to dive to 18 meters anywhere in the world, if under the age of 15 then all dives after training must be conducted with an adult or dive professional. This is a lifetime certification without an expiry date enabling you to unlock some of the world’s most incredible adventures.
The SDI Open Water Diver course includes three parts:
- Online learning – once you have signed up for the course we will provide you with an online code enabling you to start your journey from the comfort of your own home! The content gives you the foundational understanding of the key safety and knowledge concepts including the following:
- The aquatic environment
- Physics and physiology
- Dive equipment
- Dive planning
- Confined Water training – learn and practice scuba skills in a pool or water with pool-like conditions. You’ll cover the following plus much more, preparing you for the open water dives:
- Basic scuba skills including mask and regulator skills, swimming underwater, buoyancy control, basic rescue techniques, and emergency procedures
- Open Water Dives – Over a minimum of 4 open water dives you will apply what you have learned during your academic and skill-development sessions, while learning practical lessons that can only be gained through real-world experience in open water at one of our shore based dive sites.
What to expect?
After signing up for your course, one of our team will be in contact to send your e-learning information and joining instructions in plenty of time to complete ahead of your practical training. On the first day of your course we will meet you at our centre in Larnaca to complete paperwork and get you sized up for your equipment. After learning how to put your equipment together we will take you up to Aiya Napa for the day where we generally start at Green Bay to start your confined water training, a shallow, calm bay which will allow us to practise all necessary skills in a controlled environment before we take you out into Open Water.
Over the next few days we will take you to a variety of dive sites so you can learn different types of entries and exits, experience a little bit of depth within your limits and get to see as much of Cyprus underwater as we can give you.
Training is personal and unique to the individual so we have a maximum of 3 students per instructor in a course with children being given smaller ratios, this allows for 1 to 1 attention, a relaxed pace and a much more enjoyable atmosphere.
- 10 years and above
- Able to swim for 200 meters and float unassisted for 10 minutes
- Good physical health