How do I begin?
You start with the training materials. We will provide you with an electronic manualso you can do all your studying at home before you come to Cyprus.
What's in the course?
At the end of this programme, DAN Basic Life Support, course participants will be able to:
- Explain basic Anatomy and Physiology
- List the 4 links of the "chain of survival"
- Explain why BLS is important
- State the goal of BLS and resuscitation
- Recognise danger and perform a Scene Safety Assessment
- Protect themselves against cross infection
- Describe the function of chest compressions and ventilations
- Explain how to avoid Gastric distension
- Check responsiveness
- Reassure an injured person
- Open the airway
- Check for normal breathing
- Activate the EMS
- Perform chest compressions and rescue breathing – CPR
- List the advantages of a ace shield and resuscitation mask
- Explain the advantage of oxygen during resuscitation
- Explain the importance of defibrillation
- State the most common cause of chocking
- Describe the difference between mild and severe airway obstruction
- Provide care for choking
- Explain why an unconscious, breathing victim must be placed in the recovery position
- Place an unconscious, breathing person in the recovery position
- Describe the function of the blood
- Provide care for (severe) external bleeding
- Explain what is shock
- Name at least 3 causes of shock
- List at least 7 warning signs of shock
- Provide care for injured persons in shock
How long does it take?
The DAN Basic Life Support course takes about 4 hours.
What qualifications do I need?
There are no pre-requisites for the DAN Basic Life Support provider course
To enrol in the DAN Instructor Course, the Instructor Candidate must have completed the Instructor Qualification course (IQC) and :
- Be a certified and active scuba diving Instructor(or Divemaster/Asssistant Instructor with current CPR training).
- Be a current DAN Basic Life Support provider.
- Have current training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Have documentation of first aid training.
- Be a current DAN Member.
Once you have completed your DAN Basic Life Support certification/Instructor why not join a DAN Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries course to help you assist with other diving related injuries.
DAN Basic Life Support course costs €120.00 for the provider course and €175.00* for the Instructor course which includes materials and certification. Contact us for details.
*A DAN instructor has to pay a one-off €85.00 for an Instructor Qualification Course with the first instructor course undertaken.